Check out the Calendar for Upcoming Events & Workshops

Business Guides

Business Guides - puzzle pieces together, one with two people going over a chart, and one with a person on a laptop brainstorming



Licensing Your Business

Licensing Your Business

Licensing Your Business banner - people in a board room smiling


Step 1: Know What Licenses You Need

Federal Business Licenses

While most businesses do not require a federal license or permit, some do.

Learn more about each industry license by clicking on the agency links in the individual descriptions below.

  • Agriculture – If you import or transport animals, animal products, biologics, biotechnology, or plants across state lines, you may need to apply for a permit from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
  • Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco products – If you manufacture, wholesale, import, or sell alcoholic beverages at a retail location, you may need to register your business and obtain certain federal permits (for tax purposes) with the U.S. Treasury Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB).
  • Aviation – If your business involves the operation of an aircraft or the transportation of goods or people via air or aircraft maintenance, you may need to apply for a license with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
  • Commercial Fisheries – If your business is involved with commercial fishing, you may be required to obtain a license for fishing activities from the NOAA Fisheries Service.
  • Drug Manufacturing – Businesses manufacturing drugs may need a license from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • Firearms, Ammunition, and Explosives – If you manufacture, deal or import firearms, ammunitions or explosives, you may need to apply for one or more licenses with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF).
  • Fish and Wildlife – Businesses engaged in any wildlife-related activity, including the import/export of wildlife and derivative products, may need to obtain an appropriate permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
  • Ground Transportation and Logistics – Businesses involved in ground transportation, trucking, or operating an oversized or overweight vehicle, will be regulated by the U.S. Department of Transportation. The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) will issue permits for oversized
    and overweight vehicles.
  • Investment Advising – Investment advising services, may be required to obtain a license from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
  • Maritime Transportation – If you provide ocean transportation or facilitate the shipment of cargo by sea, you may need to apply for a license from the Federal Maritime Commission.
  • Radio and Television Broadcasting – Businesses that broadcasts information by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable require licensing through the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

Florida State Business Licenses

Florida law does require state licenses and certifications for occupations that require extensive training – or expose consumers to potential hazards. Those occupations are:
• Accountants
• Architects, interior designers, and engineers
• Athlete agents
• Barbers and cosmetologists
• Building contractors and other construction-related occupations
• Lawyers
• Medical professionals
• Private investigators and other security services
• Real estate brokers and salespeople
• And more

The primary issuer of business licenses is the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR). There you will be able to find a complete list of all the occupations the organization regulates.



Volusia County Contractor Licenses 

Volusia County Contractor Licensing activity establishes a centralized and uniform system for the local regulation and discipline of registered contractors, the listing and discipline of state certified contractors pursuant to Chapter 489, Florida Statutes Parts I and II, and the regulation and discipline of local specialty contractors pursuant to Chapter 22 of the Volusia County Code of Ordinances within the unincorporated county and all the municipalities within Volusia County except for the City of Pierson.

Learn more and apply for licenses at Volusia County Building and Code Administration.

Locally Mandated Licensing

Each municipality may require special licenses for certain occupations. Contact your city or town to determine what licenses they may require.

Step 2: Apply for Your Licenses

Use the links provided in the descriptions above on this page to start your licensing applications.

If you need further assistance, contact a Volusia Business Resources Business Specialist at (386) 248-8048.



Find Resources

Looking for more information on all your business needs. Our resources are here to help. Explore more!

Take the Survey

Please take a few moments to complete this simply survey that will help us better develop our future programs to serve you better.

Join Our Mailing List

White Volusia Business Resources logo